These days, we spend more time in our vehicles. That means we want to have access to tech that will keep up connected and entertained. That’s where the popular Apple CarPlay app comes in. If you are looking to add Apple CarPlay to your vehicle, here is everything that you need to know.
What is Apple CarPlay?
In short, Apple CarPlay allows you to play and access iOS apps through your vehicle’s infotainment system. If you have an Apple iPhone, then you will be able to access all of your smartphone’s apps with Apple CarPlay.
Apple CarPlay is available as standard on many new vehicles. This popular app makes it easy to do everything from playing music from your iPhone to accessing email and navigation information.
Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 and later models.
Is Apple CarPlay good?
If you are used to using Apple devices, then you will feel right at home with Apple CarPlay. The interface is clean and simple, like all other Apple devices. The response time is excellent and the overall process of using Apple CarPlay is rather simple.
Not only that, the Apple CarPlay system makes it easy for you to use. All your need is an iPhone 5 or later model, and you are ready to go.
Many top tech publications have stated that Apple CarPlay is an excellent addition to most vehicles. DigitalTrends gives the Apple CarPlay app an 8 out of 10 rating.
Can I install Apple CarPlay in my car?
Because of the popularity of Apple CarPlay, you will be able to easily install the app into your vehicle by getting a compatible aftermarket radio. You should have no problem finding an Apple CarPlay compatible radio online or at your local auto parts retailer.
Once you get the aftermarket radio, simply install it into your vehicle. The installation process should take no more than a couple of hours.
In addition to getting an aftermarket radio yourself, there are many manufacturers that will offer a “retrofit” of newer audio systems on older vehicle models. For instance, Mazda can retrofit a newer audio system for about $500. While this price is a little higher than doing it yourself, installation is included.
How do I install Apple CarPlay in my car?
If you have an older vehicle, then you will need to remove your old audio system and then add an aftermarket radio with Apple CarPlay. On many models, this is a matter of simply removing the old radio from the center console and installing the new radio.
Apple has made it rather easy for you to onboard apps onto Apple CarPlay. Here is a step-by-step process:
- Make sure that your vehicle is on
- Make sure that SIri is on. Siri is the voice command standard for Apple
- Connect your iPhone to your car. This can be done either with a USB port connection or you can use a Bluetooth wireless connection via your vehicle’s voice commands.
- Once your iPhone has been connected to your vehicle’s audio system, you will be able to use Apple CarPlay.
- Now you can select apps that can be added from your iPhone to Apple CarPlay.
Overall, the process should take no more than a couple of minutes to complete. If you have any trouble with the onboarding process, then you can visit this Apple CarPlay support page from Apple.
Does my radio need to have Apple CarPlay on it?
Yes. You will have to make sure that you have an Apple CarPlay compatible radio. Currently, almost every auto manufacturer offers a radio that comes with Apple CarPlay. if you have an older model vehicle, you can purchase an aftermarket radio with Apple CarPlay.
If you are shopping for a vehicle with Apple CarPlay, then check to see if the manufacture offers Apple CarPlay as standard equipment or as an option. Most luxury automakers will have Apple CarPlay as standard.
Does Apple CarPlay work with my android phone?
Sorry. Apple CarPlay does not work with Android phones. However, there is Android Auto. This is pretty much the Apple CarPlay equivalent for Android users. In fact, many automakers will have radios that are both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible.
What are the Best Apps for Apple CarPlay?
Once you have Apple CarPlay on your vehicle, you will want to make the most of it. Therefore, you should consider adding the following apps to your Apple CarPlay compatible radio:
- Spotify – Spotify is the top music streaming platform. This is a great way to play music from your favorite artists. Also, you can find playlists that are designed around your specific taste of music. Another great thing about Spotify is its exclusive content of podcast shows.
- What’s App – What’s App is the popular messaging platform. With What’s App in your vehicle, you will be able to stay connected with others while you are on the road. Just bear in mind that you will only want to use What’s App when you are not driving.
- Google Maps – If you want the best maps application available, then you will want to choose Google Maps. This is the ideal choice when you want to get information on nearby stores, buildings, or gas stations. Google Maps is constantly updates and extremely useful on the road.
- TomTom GoNavigation – If you are trying to get somewhere, then you can get lots of help with TomTom GoNavigation. This app will give you turn-by-turn navigation instructions.
- iHeartRadio – Finally, if you want to get access to lots of great radio stations, then you will want to app iHeartRadio. This app allows you to listen to hundreds of radio stations. You will also get access to lots of exclusive podcasts.
Adding Apple CarPlay to Your Vehicle
When it comes down to it, iPhone users will most certainly want to have Apple CarPlay in their vehicle. If you have an older model, you can add Apple CarPlay with an affordable aftermarket radio. Be sure to make the most of Apple CarPlay while you are on the road.