If you’ve never heard of the term “DIN”, or maybe you have and just never gave it a second thought, it stands for “Deutsches Institut für Normung,” which means, German Institute for Standardization. The typical DIN size is 180mm x 50mm and the Double DIN is 180mm x 100mm, double the height of the original.
If you’re looking for the best Double Din that’s available on the market today, we compiled a list of three, including the best overall, the best budget Double DIN, and the best overall value Double DIN. At the end of the day, however, there can be only one, and that is the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX.
Choosing the best Double DIN is based on a range of factors, with the most important factor being the overall sound quality that the device can put out. We also included features, display response, how easy it’s going to be for you to install it, and the overall functionality of the device.
The Pioneer DMH has a beautiful and large display that is a WVGA capacitive touchscreen. Interacting with the display is incredibly responsive but not so much that you end up hitting the wrong things and the touch screen is very accurate to help alleviate some of those bumpy rides.
It also supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which are nearly must-haves in a vehicle nowadays. Much of your interaction with the DMH will probably be through Amazon Alexa, which means less time touching the screen and more time talking, so your eyes are on the road.
The DSD (Direct Stream Digital) with up to 5.6MHz playback is great, especially when paired with the fact that this is a truly high-resolution audio experience. Since it supports WAV and FLAC files, there isn’t much you won’t be able to listen to.
If Sirius XM radio is still your thing, you’ll find that the Pioneer DMH supports it, with 140+ channels of music, talk radio, and sports. The installation kit makes installing it a breeze as well and it includes USB cables, a GPS adapter, wiring harness, mic screws, and a USB-C extension.
- 14W power output
- 13-Band Graphic Equalizer
- Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- Wireless streaming
- HD radio
|Highly responsive touch||Expensive|
|Bright and clear display||No HD Video|
|Apple Carplay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa included|
|Easy to install 12-month warranty|
|Supports a lot of formats|
- Smartphone Integration - Supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, enabling seamless integration with your smartphone. Safely access your favorite apps, such as Maps, Music, Messages, Phone, Podcasts, and Siri voice commands.
- Entertainment on the Road – Stay connected on the go with the built-in Bluetooth functionality. Make hands-free calls, stream audio wirelessly, and control your music directly from your device on a 6.8" capacitive touchscreen display.
- Amazon Alexa - Use voice commands to access and control functions in your car. Ask to play music, check weather, get directions, and control smart home devices through voice commands. Allows for hands-free operation, convenience, and accessibility.
- Rear View Camera Capable – Upgrade your vehicle and make backing in and out of any parking spot easier than ever. This Pioneer Multimedia Receiver has the functionality to install a backup camera.
- Instruction & Operation – Please see the Owner’s Manual for full detail and operation found near the bottom of this page (Technical Specifications). Chassis Dimensions – 7 in. x 3-7/8 in. x 3-3/8 in.
- Alpine ILX-W650 7” (Best Overall Value)
The Alpine ILX is another Double DIN that is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The sound quality that the Alpine ILX puts out is one of the best that you’re likely to find out there.
The screen is large and has excellent touch responsiveness. It also comes equipped with a camera input and it supports both rear and dash cameras. The only drawback is that you have to plug your smartphone in to take advantage of the Apple Carplay or Android Auto feature.
It has a shallow-mount chassis and is very easy to install. However, the bootup speed is roughly 20 seconds, so you won’t be able to just jump right in and start listening to your favorite music or podcast.
The built-in amplifier is 18W RMS with 50 peak x 4 channels, same as the Pioneer but with just a hair more power. Also, like the Pioneer, it’s ready to go with Sirius XM and if you play your cards right, you might just get a free trial with the purchase.
- Chassis is 2 and 13/16” deep
- Hands-free control
- Large, 7” capacitive touchscreen
- 6-channel preamp outputs
|Excellent and responsive touchscreen||Takes 20 seconds to boot
|Works with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto||Only a single USB plug
|Comes with Sirius/XM ready 18W built-in amplifier||No CDs
|Hands-free control Incredible sound quality|
|Easy to install|
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- shallow-mount chassis design (2-7/16" deep)
- touchscreen swipe controls
- designed to work with CarPlay and Android Auto
- hands-free control lets you access apps using your voice
- Sony XAVAX1000 (Best Budget Double Din)
Since this is a budget Double DIN, you get a little bit smaller of a screen at 6.2”, however, it is still a highly responsive, touch capacitive display, and the addition of a physical volume knob for those of you who are into the old school ways of doing things.
It features a Bluetooth connection for hands-free operation along with Apple CarPlay. Unfortunately, Android Auto isn’t an available feature for the XAVAX but you still get GPS navigation, Spotify, and Pandora, all of which easily tie into the Apple CarPlay feature.
Voice commands work through Siri, which includes Sirius/XM, which comes preinstalled like the previous two. Also, Sony played it safe with this iteration and locks down the video playing while you are on the move. The power output is 4 x 55W with RMS 4 x 20W. It also features a 10-band DSO equalizer.
The XAVAX ties directly into your steering control for easy operation as well as a backup camera if applicable. It also includes a 5-channel preamp output, 2 USB inputs, and one backup camera input, all with a 3-year warranty. Sony terms it as 36-months but you get the picture.
- High level of customization options
- Full installation kit comes with the XAVAX
- Easy to install with a small chassis
- Easy to use interface
- AM/FM Tuner
|Three-year warranty included||CD player not included
|Highly responsive touch display||Android Auto is not supported
|Comes with a physical volume knob||Not a lot of wallpaper options
|Siri works effortlessly with full voice command options|
|Excellent power output|
|Includes Apple CarPlay|
|Includes a backup camera input|
|2 USB inputs|
|Bluetooth works great|
|Priced under $500 |
All Things Considered
The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX tops the list but for some, it may be too much out of pocket. All three Double DIN head units on this list are excellent, however, and even our budget buy manages to stand out in many ways.
If you’re looking for powerful audio options in your ride, that aren’t insanely difficult to install, you’ll find everything you’re looking for right here.
Want to know what the best Single DIN unit is? Check out our recommendations by clicking here.